Arizona State Schools for the Deaf and Blind
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Transition Camp: Camp Counselor Tucson
at Arizona State Schools for the Deaf and Blind
Job Reference #: 1687
Categories: Education - ALL, Non-Profit/Social Services, Healthcare - Therapy/Rehab Services, Healthcare - ALL CATEGORIES, Education - Support Staff
Openings as of 2/18/2019
- Transition Camp: Camp Counselor -1687 Tucson JobID: 1687
- Position Type:
Support Staff/Transition Camp: Residential Staff
- Date Posted:
- Implement planned Camp LEAP activities
- Implement established behavior management programs
- Escort students to specific functions
- Work with individuals and/or groups of students
- Assist students with activities of daily living
- Supervise students in regularly scheduled activities (i.e. meals, off-campus trips, day & evening camp activities
- Meet with Camp Directors to discuss problems, methods, assignments, etc.
- May need to assist students with toileting and personal hygiene needs
- Submit written reports upon request
- Assist in preparation of camp activities and materials
- Accept direction of Camp Directors and implement programs
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Intermediate to Advanced ASL proficiency preferred
- Ability to work independently with students and to exercise initiative
- Strong organizational ability
- Ability to work with a variety of ages and demographic groups
- Ability to take charge and motivate others
- Ability to observe and assess staff and camper behavior, enforce safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior management techniques
- Ability and willingness to live in the residence hall while camp is in session
- Proven ability to interact with youth in a supportive, safe, and encouraging way
- Experience working with groups of children, preferably middle and high school-aged
- Experience working at summer camps or similar programs
- Requires working in an outdoor environment in all weather conditions
- May require working with difficult clients
- Physical ability to lead a wide variety of challenging activities in an outdoor environment
- Must be able to pass FBI and State background check
- Defensive Driver Training Program to be completed by all agency personnel that drive on State business
- WAVE certification or ability to obtain within required timeline
- Current CPR, and First Aid certification or ability to obtain within required timeline
|TRANSITION CAMP: CAMP COUNSELOR|
ASDB is providing Camp LEAP (Summer Transition Camp) a 2-week camp, where Voc Rehab (VR) eligible Deaf, Hard of Hearing, and Deaf-blind campers will receive specialized Transition from School to Work (TSW) and leadership programming. To achieve comprehensive summer transition services, ASDB must work with TSW/VR, and other public agencies and entities like the Arizona Commission for the Deaf and the Hard of Hearing (ACDHH) & Gallaudet University Regional Center (GURC); this unique programming opportunity will be the first of its kind offered in Arizona as a summer-time resource.
The following position is available through this unique opportunity for qualified individuals seeking to work with various Deaf, Hard of Hearing, and Deaf-blind VR eligible students statewide in smaller groups, one-on-one in classroom settings, applying project based, hands-on learning to provide transition skills. Some examples of targeted skill development include: job seeking skills, independent living skills, communication approaches, leadership training, Deaf Self-advocacy training, and awareness of community resources.
Video Link: https://youtu.be/ud36J4y-N6o
Camp Counselor – GSD10025
Camp Counselors are responsible for students on a daily basis ensuring students’ safety, managing children’s behavior and acting as role models. The Counselors will model participation in all daily activities and use group management skills to engage all children in activities.
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
|Benefit eligible employees have a variety of choices for medical, dental, vision, short-term disability, supplemental and dependent life insurance. Offered plans provide exceptional value to our employees and their eligible dependents. Employees have a 31-day period from effective date of hire to elected coverage. Elected benefits could start as early as 2 weeks after hire. |
Benefit eligible employees are automatically covered for basic life, non-smokers, accidental death and dismemberment and seat belt insurance.
Benefit eligible employees are automatically enrolled in the State’s retirement plan and long-term disability (LTD) program. Enrollment is mandatory and is subject to a 26-week waiting period before initial enrollment. Employees may also choose to participate in a deferred compensation program to take advantage of tax-deferred retirement investments. Benefit Options also offer Employee Self-Service, Wellness, Tuition Discount, Travel Reduction, Auto & Home Insurance and Purchase Discount Programs.
|For more information contact the Recruiter at: HumanResources.Recruitment@asdb.az.gov |
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting the Recruiter. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation.
Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
To apply, click the link below.