Diocese of Tucson
Job Title: Controller Exemption Status: Exempt
Department/Location: Diocese of Tucson Pastoral Center/Tucson, AZ
Primary Function: Under the direction of the Chief Financial Officer, the Controller is responsible for providing support to the CFO in areas of diocesan and parish accounting and finance functions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform in support of the Church and the diocese’s spiritual and pastoral mission.
- Shall abide by Catholic principles in the principal’s professional and private life, and shall govern his/her professional and private life in strict accordance with Catholic morals and principles to demonstrate complete adherence to Catholic moral structures
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
- Oversee the accounting operations of nine Diocesan corporations and trusts, especially their control systems, and policies and procedures.
- Manage personnel assigned in accordance with applicable employment related laws and diocesan personnel policies practices and procedures.
- Supervise the accounts payable functions
- Supervise the billing and accounts receivable functions
- Ensure that periodic bank and brokerage reconciliations are completed
- Ensure that required debt payments are made on a timely basis
- Maintain the chart of accounts
- Prepare monthly financial reports for all corporations and trusts
- Assist in preparation of annual budgets
- Perform other tasks as directed by Chief Financial Officer.
Physical/Mental Requirements: Requires coordination and manual dexterity, normal mental and visual ability; ability to lift as required in a normal office environment.
Required Activities: Walking; sitting; standing; stooping; reaching; talking; handling; hearing; carrying; and keyboarding.
- A working knowledge of, and a strong commitment to the mission of fostering lay leadership in the Catholic Church; must also be a practicing Roman Catholic in full communion with the Church
- Working knowledge of the Catholic Church including in-depth familiarity with its structures, functions, and institutions
- Excellent communications skills including written, verbal, public speaking, and presentation skills
- Excellent human relations and interpersonal skills; must be a self-starter and be well-organized; must be a team player
- Be able to travel, and be available for evening and weekend work as necessary; have reliable transportation
- Be able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Proficiency in the use of computer technology including word processing and the use of excel and related technology; ability to maintain confidentiality
- Flexibility in assessing needs and strategies and adapt appropriately in a finance environment
- The ability to successfully complete a criminal history and background check
- Professional bearing and clean and neat personal appearance
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or business administration from an accredited institution or equivalent business experience and 10+ years of progressively responsible financial experience
- Five Years’ successful management experience
- Preference will be given to candidates Certified as Public Accountants or who possess a Master’s degree in Business, Finance or Accounting
- Proficiency in Spanish is preferred