DIOCESE OF TUCSON
Job Title: Graphics Designer Exemption Status: Exempt
Department/Location: New Vision; Communications Department / Diocese of Tucson Pastoral Center / Tucson, AZ
Primary Function: Under the direction of the Director of Communications or the Catholic Outlook Managing Editor, the Graphics Designer is responsible for working independently in the layout and general production of The Catholic Outlook, the official newspaper of the Diocese of Tucson, and for the design and general maintenance of the diocesan and newspaper web sites as well as for the design and execution of graphics for other Diocesan departments, and social media as necessary and/or desired.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform in support of the Church and the diocese’s spiritual and pastoral mission.
- Shall abide by Catholic principles in the employee’s professional and private life, and shall govern his/her professional and private life in strict accordance with Catholic morals and principles to demonstrate complete adherence to Catholic moral strictures.
- Coordinate and facilitate, with timeliness, accuracy and attention to detail, the placement of both news and advertising in the pages of The Catholic Outlook.
- Assist in the preparation of social media, ads, ad promotions, brochures, publications other graphics in support of the mission of the Diocese (campaigns, appeals, Bishop’s Christmas cards) and its various departments (schools, pastoral services, CTSO, Charity & Ministry, etc.) and their websites.
- Use knowledge of current graphic design software to create press or camera-ready layouts. Must be able to produce graphic art and visual materials for promotions, advertisements and informational and instructional material for The Catholic Outlook and for other departments at the pastoral center.
- Generate and manipulate graphic images and text as requested by the Pastoral Center’s various departments.
- Remain abreast of technological advances in the field and be able to identify areas of use in the organization.
- Perform a variety of tasks with minimal supervision while exhibiting a great deal of creativity and latitude.
- Use a wide range of media, including photography and computer-aided design, to produce accurate and high-quality work.
- Keep management updated on processing delays, variances from established procedures, or potential financial concerns.
- Adhere to and comply with personnel policies and procedures and adhere to Catholic Doctrine and Catholic principles of morality.
- Perform other duties as assigned. This includes training in posting information and art/photos online with specific software used by the Diocese.
Physical/Mental Requirements: Requires coordination and manual dexterity, normal mental and visual ability; ability to lift as required in a normal office environment.
Required Activities: Walking, sitting standing, stooping, reaching, talking, handling, hearing, carrying, and keyboarding.
- A working knowledge of, and a strong commitment to the mission of fostering lay leadership in the Catholic Church; must also be a practicing Roman Catholic in full communion with the Church
- Artistic sensibility and ability; knowledge about design elements, such as color and composition.
- Excellent communications skills including verbal, written and presentation skills.
- Excellent human relations and interpersonal skills; must be a self-starter and be well-organized; must be a team player.
- Be able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and demonstrate strong problem-solving skills.
- Proficiency in the use of a wide variety of computer technology and an aptitude for learning new technology.
- Be able to maintain confidentiality; ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Flexibility in assessing needs and strategies and adapt appropriately in a ministerial environment.
- The ability to successfully complete a criminal history and background check.
- Professional bearing and clean and neat personal appearance.
Education and Experience:
- At minimum, graduation from a 2-year college
- Experience in publication design and layout and desktop publishing.
- Must have proficiency with the latest technology, including but not limited to Microsoft Office, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe GoLive or Dreamweaver, Adobe Acrobat, and digital and film photography.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Proficiency in Spanish highly desirable
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Professional experience in preparing graphics and illustrations for social media use
- Experience with digital photography and use of camera gear. Be prepared to show examples of photography
- Video editing skills with Final Cut or other film editing program preferred but not required.
- Online posting in programs such as Facebook, Twitter and other platforms.