St. Cyril of Alexandria School
Job Title: Instructional Aide
Exemption Status: Non- Exempt
Department/Location: St. Cyril School/Tucson, AZ
Primary Function: Under the direction of the school principal and supervision of a teacher, is responsible for assisting the teacher in the care and instruction of children in a classroom setting. Responsibilities include a concentration on the instruction of children.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Recognizes and supports the unique Catholic Mission of the school by speaking, acting, and providing instruction assistance consistent with the teachings of the Catholic Church; an instructional aide may not espouse any doctrine inconsistent with the teachings of the Church.
- Shall abide by Catholic principles in the individual’s professional and private life, and shall govern his/her professional and private life in strict accordance with Catholic morals and principles to demonstrate complete adherence to Catholic moral strictures.
- Gives evidence of lived Gospel values by being an active member of a faith community and being open to the importance of personal faith journey; strives to model the teaching of Jesus by attitude and example.
- Help build the school’s faith community by a demonstrated willingness to participate in and plan school religious and service activities.
- Assist the classroom teacher with student supervision including assisting with lessons and field trip planning and related supervision
- Assist with supervision of parent helpers and compliance with safe environment and other school requirements.
- Assist with the school lunch program and playground supervision as necessary
- Be able to communicate effectively with students; be able to help organize classroom learning and materials and field trips to motivate student learning.
- Consistently and effectively assist in the evaluation of student progress.
- Assist the teacher in concentrated learning activities either individually or with a group.
- Assist the teacher with a consistent disciplinary approach which promotes self-direction and positive self-image, and motivate learning
- Help to maintain a functional and pleasant learning environment
- At all times demonstrate professional responsibility in all tasks assigned; display sound judgment in dress and general behavior
- Perform other duties as assigned
Physical/Mental Requirements: Requires coordination and manual dexterity, normal mental and visual ability; ability to lift as required in a normal classroom environment
Required Activities: Walking; sitting; standing; stooping; reaching; talking; handling; hearing; carrying; and keyboarding
- A working knowledge of and a strong commitment to the mission of fostering lay leadership in the Catholic Church. If a baptized Catholic, must be a practicing Roman Catholic in full communion with the Church
- Excellent communications skills, written and verbal.
- Excellent human relations and interpersonal skills; must be a self-starter and be well-organized; must be a team player
- Be available for evening and weekend work as necessary
- Be able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Proficiency in the use of computer technology including word processing; ability to maintain confidentiality at all times
- Flexibility in assessing needs and strategies and adapt appropriately in a school environment
- The ability to successfully complete a criminal history and background check
- Professional bearing and clean and neat personal appearance
Education and Experience:
- High School Graduate or GED
- Fifteen credit hours in Early Childhood or Elementary Education, or three years’ work experience related to the care and instruction of children or equivalent experience.
- Previous classroom instruction experience preferred
- Bilingual (Spanish/English)