Job Title: Intervention Teacher (Interventionist) Exemption Status: Non Exempt
Department/Location: St Cyril of Alexandria School / Tucson, AZ
Primary Function: Under the direction of the school principal, the Interventionist is responsible for supporting the School and the Diocese of Tucson in their mission to evangelize, catechize, and provide services to students requiring additional support (academic and/or behavioral) educating all youth in a Catholic School environment. The intervention teacher shall be a minister of the Gospel and Catholic Teaching both academically and behaviorally while at work and in his/her personal life, "Live in a manner worthy of the call you have received." (Eph. 4:1)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of this Ministerial Position:
- Recognize and support the unique Catholic Mission of the School by speaking, acting, and instructing consistent with the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church. The interventionist may not espouse, in word or deed, any doctrine inconsistent with the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church.
- Give evidence of living Gospel values by being an active member of a faith community and being open to the importance of a personal faith journey; strive to model the teaching of Jesus by attitude and example.
- Help build the School’s faith community by a demonstrated willingness to participate in, and help plan School religious and service activities.
- Demonstrate knowledge of best-practice, academic and behavior methodologies and strategies to improve student achievement within an RtI2 framework.
- Assist classroom teachers to develop and implement Tier 1 classroom-based, developmentally appropriate instruction & interventions for individual students and groups of students to improve learning and behavior in the classroom.
- Follow diocesan/district policies and procedures for identifying students in need of Title I, Individual Service Plan (ISP), and special education services within an RtI2 framework to:
- Plan and facilitate all special needs referrals, instruction related to individual learning plans, intervention meetings, and follow up for students with academic and behavioral needs in collaboration with parents/guardians, school, and district personnel.
- Work with classroom teachers to facilitate referral requirements for special education, ISP, and Title I services.
- Maintain up-to-date documents related to student services within an RtI2 framework.
- Utilize ongoing assessment data and evaluation procedures to identify students’ needs and guide academic and behavioral instruction and intervention.
- Establish clear instructional objectives for individual and small group instruction and interventions for students in Tier 2 and 3 within the RtI2 framework.
- Provide explicit evidence-based instruction and intensive intervention to students individually and/or in small groups at Tiers 2 and 3 in an RtI2 framework.
- Maintain ongoing communication with parents/guardians and school personnel regarding student progress and follow-up.
- Maintain a functional and pleasant learning environment to maximize student time on task as well as motivate student learning according to their special needs.
- Establish a consistent disciplinary approach which promotes self-direction and positive self-image; set high standards for student behavior and manage inappropriate behavior effectively and according to individual student behavior plans as needed.
- Demonstrate professional responsibility in enforcing School policies and regulations
- Maintain confidentiality of information; display sound judgment in dress and general behavior. Specifically, Teacher will follow School dress code standards.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Physical/Mental Requirements: Coordination and manual dexterity, normal mental and visual capabilities, and the ability to lift as required in a normal office environment.
Required Activities: Walking; sitting; standing; stooping; reaching; talking; handling; hearing; carrying; and keyboarding.
- A working knowledge of and a strong commitment to the mission of fostering lay leadership in the Roman Catholic Church. If a baptized Catholic, must be a practicing Roman Catholic in full communion with the Church. If not a baptized Catholic, must nonetheless abide by Catholic principles in the teacher’s professional and private life.
- Excellent communications skills including written and oral, public speaking and presentation skills.
- Excellent human relations and interpersonal skills; must be a self-starter and be well-organized; must be a team player.
- Be available for evening and weekend work as necessary; have reliable transportation.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Proficiency in the use of computer technology including word processing and the use of excel and related technology; ability and willingness to maintain confidentiality.
- Flexibility in assessing needs and strategies and adapt appropriately in a ministerial environment.
- Complete a criminal history and background check.
- Professional bearing and clean and neat personal appearance.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited Institution
- Certified by the State of Arizona as a Teacher
- Level I Diocesan Ministry Certification
- Bi-lingual (English/Spanish)
- Special Education Experience
Covenants of Employment:
St Cyril is a Roman Catholic religious organization and that all employees are expected to respect and conduct themselves in accordance with the values, teachings and morals of the Roman Catholic Church and by Arizona state law. Under the "Zero Tolerance Policy", no one will be knowingly assigned or retained to serve in the School when that person is determined to have engaged in the abuse of a minor or to have violated boundaries in dealing with minors.