Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
0915 - Trades Maintenance Specialist Senior (Biogas Specialist)
at Pima County
- Position Description
This position is in the Regional Wastewater Reclamation Department. OPEN UNTIL FILLED.
Salary Grade: 47
Leads and participates in advanced or expert levels of operation, maintenance, construction or modifications to equipment, complex systems (including natural resource features or ecological systems), projects or facilities, frequently operating independently and serving as the system or Department expert on complex equipment, systems (mechanical or ecological) or projects. This classification is distinguished from the Trades Maintenance (TM) Supervisor, which typically exercises full supervisory authority over a crew or work-center engaged in facilities, grounds, equipment or specialized systems maintenance.
An assessment may be administered.
(Work assignments may vary depending on the department's needs and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by the supervisor.)
Performs operational and preventive maintenance of complex facilities, equipment and/or systems that may include monitoring of specialized park areas such as natural resource or ecological systems;
Performs critical repairs to complex systems, equipment and related features to maintain system integrity and functions in accordance with standards, rules and regulations, particularly those systems or equipment operated under permits or licenses granted by other governmental agencies;
Serves as system or Departmental technical expert in the maintenance and modification of complex equipment and systems, including natural resource maintenance and interpretation;
Interprets and applies required codes or standards to work situations;
Interprets complex blueprints, schematics and diagrams to facilitate work;
Prepares working sketches, drawings and estimates of resources required for assigned projects;
Operates specialized equipment in direct support of other activities;
Recommends to engineering, support staff and management, modifications to current equipment, facilities, processes and systems to enhance operability, reliability and/or compliance with industrial or governmental standards or to enhance and protect or preserve ecological systems;
Acts as work center shift supervisor in the absence of the TM Supervisor;
Inspects and approves work of supporting operations and maintenance staff;
Coordinates equipment and system modifications or maintenance with operations and maintenance staff, supported facility managers or end-users to assure minimal disruption of services;
Maintains security and confidentiality of sensitive equipment, materials or end-products, particularly those associated with law enforcement and correctional activities;
Participates in development of Requests for Proposals and contracts for equipment, supplies and services;
Monitors contractor/vendor-supplied equipment, supplies and services for compliance with contract provisions;
Conducts or coordinates specialized training for TM staff in the systems being supported;
Inspects, services and maintains common and specialized tools, equipment and vehicles used in performance of duties;
Maintains comprehensive records of work performed, modifications to equipment or systems, and related operations logs;
Prepares periodic and special reports for management on equipment, systems and/or facilities supported or maintained;
May collect via manual, mechanical or electronics means, samples of process materials for subsequent analysis or to monitor proper functioning of the systems supported.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- operating principles, practices and techniques of assigned complex or specialized equipment, systems or facilities support systems;
- operation and maintenance of tools, equipment and materials encountered in area of assignment;
- operation and maintenance of testing and monitoring equipment common to skill, trade or are of specialization;
- effective supervision, training and communications techniques;
- hazards, safety procedures or equipment required in the area of specialization or assigned work-areas;
- codes, standards, rules and regulations applicable to the craft, trade, specialty or area of work assignment;
- basic contracting processes, including quality assurance or inspection of supplies or services for compliance with contracts;
- principles and practices of park maintenance in area of assignment;
- practices and principles in the maintenance of ecological systems.
- following written and oral instructions;
- preparing working sketches, drawings and estimates of resources required for assigned projects;
- interpreting and applying required codes, standards, rules and regulations to work situations;
- interpreting complex blueprints, schematics and diagrams;
- maintaining documentation of activities;
- leading, supervising and evaluating the work of others;
- developing, implementing and monitoring work-unit budgets;
- conducting and coordinating specialized and on-the-job training for assigned staff in the skill, craft, trade or area of specialization;
- communicating effectively;
- monitoring, assessing, and maintaining the condition of assigned ecological systems.
- Minimum Qualifications
(1) Six years of direct journey-level work experience in process refrigeration systems.
(2) Three years of experience with Pima County as a Trades Maintenance Specialist in process refrigeration systems.
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and "Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
(Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- Three (3) years experience with process refrigeration systems(Residential/Commercial HVAC does not apply), high pressure gas compressors (Greater than 120 PSI), EPA 608 Universal Refrigeration License or EPA 608 Type II High Pressure License.
- Three (3) years instrument maintenance experience in one of the following:
- Landfill biogas production
- Renewable biogas production
- Natural gas production
- Biodiesel production
- Liquefied natural gas production facility
- Experience analyzing, calibrating, troubleshooting and performing complex work on process control instrumentation equipment, including process control drawings, process control wiring and analytical devices in an industrial environment.
- Theoretical knowledge and proficiency installing, programming, configuring, maintaining, trouble-shooting and repairing instrumentation to PLC equipment systems.
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/scored against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidate from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process.
- Supplemental Information
Licenses and Certificates: Valid driver license is required at time of application. Valid AZ driver license is required at time of appointment. The successful applicant will be subject to a 39-month DOT Motor Vehicle Record review to determine applicant's suitability to operate county vehicles in accordance with Pima County administrative procedures. Failure to obtain and maintain the required licenses and certifications shall be grounds for termination. Any offer of employment resulting from this recruitment is contingent upon Risk Management's review and approval of the candidate's driving record. Some positions may require acquiring and maintaining special certifications or access authorizations, e.g., Wastewater Operator; Backflow Device Inspection/Installation; law enforcement computer systems access, Federal Communications Commission and/or Federal Aviation Administration certifications, Hazardous Materials Responder, etc.
Special Notice Items: Due to need for access to courts, law enforcement, medical, detention and correctional facilities, records and information systems, some positions may require satisfactory completion of a personal background investigation by law enforcement authorities. Some positions may carry the risk of exposure to infectious diseases, blood-borne pathogens, asbestos, or Wastewater products, therefore special medical screening prior to or during employment may be necessary to assure employee health and safety.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: Physical and sensory abilities will be determined by position.