Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
2225 - Utility Maintenance Worker II
at Pima County
- Position Description
This position is in the Regional Wastewater Reclamation Department.
Salary Grade: 40
Leads, trains, and participates in the cleaning, repair, inspection, vector control, disinfection and maintenance of sanitary sewage conveyance systems (gravity and pressure).
An assessment may be administered.
(Work assignments may vary depending on the department's needs and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by the supervisor.)
Assigns tasks to crewmembers;
Trains others in maintenance and inspection techniques;
Informs the public of the activities of the repair and maintenance crews;
Compiles and submits activity reports and logs;
Operates specialized equipment, machines and vehicles (single and dual-function) such as pressure cleaners, sprayers, television inspection equipment, balling, vacuum and rodding machines;
Performs preventive maintenance and repairs on sewer lines, cleanouts, manhole structures and covers and wastewater pumping system facilities;
Locates and removes blockages in sewer lines and manholes;
Assists electricians in inspection and maintenance of electrical components of supported systems;
Performs operator-level servicing, adjustment and maintenance of specialized tools, equipment, assigned vehicles and machinery;
Clears manhole area covers and physically adjusts the structure and/or cover assembly;
Performs routine operational checkouts on wastewater pumping systems;
Stores, handles, applies and disposes of hazardous materials generated by work assignments as instructed in the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS);
Applies and properly disposes of pesticides, disinfectants and oxidizing agents encountered in duties;
Insures compliance with all operational safety regulations by maintaining and using safety and personal protective equipment and implementing safety-training procedures;
Establishes and maintains appropriate worksite traffic control/warning devices and measures.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- principles, techniques and operations of tools, specialized equipment and machines used in sewer maintenance and inspection;
- occupational hazards and safety procedures appropriate to the trade;
- personnel supervision, training and evaluation techniques;
- worksite traffic control/safety procedures;
- operating principles of wastewater pumping systems and their associated electrical systems and components;
- use and proper disposal of disinfectants, oxidizing agents and pesticides;
- principles of utilities mapping and records keeping.
- operating one or more types of specialized sewer maintenance or inspection equipment, such as pressure or vacuum cleaners, rodders, vermin control equipment or television inspection equipment;
- performing operator-level servicing, maintenance and adjustments to specialized tools, equipment, assigned vehicles and related machinery;
- identifying and reporting hazardous conditions to management;
- issuing and following verbal and written instructions;
- applying and properly disposing of pesticides, disinfectants and oxidizing agents;
- training staff in the operation, servicing and maintenance of specialized equipment;
- troubleshooting and assisting repair of supported system electrical systems/components;
- implementing worksite traffic control/warning and other operational safety procedures;
- operating wastewater pumping systems;
- using hand tools and making minor mechanical repairs;
- reading and interpreting technical data, maps and records;
- compiling and submitting activity reports.
- Minimum Qualifications
(1) Two years of experience in the construction, operation, or maintenance of sewage conveyance or treatment facilities.
(2) One year of experience with Pima County as a Utility Maintenance Worker I.
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and "Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
(Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- Must possess a valid Commercial Driver's License, Class B with Tanker endorsement.
- Must possess an ADEQ Collection System Grade 2 Certification.
- A minimum of one (1) year of field experience working within a sewer collection system.
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/scored against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidate from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process.
- Supplemental Information
Licenses and Certificates: All positions require possession of a valid Grade 2 Arizona Department of Environmental Quality Wastewater Collection certification and a valid Class B Arizona commercial driver license (CDL), with appropriate endorsements, at time of appointment. Valid driver license is required at time of application. Valid AZ driver license is required at time of appointment. The successful applicant will be subject to a 39-month DOT Motor Vehicle Record review to determine applicant's suitability to operate county vehicles in accordance with Pima County administrative procedures. Failure to obtain and maintain the required licenses and certifications shall be grounds for termination. Any offer of employment resulting from this recruitment is contingent upon Risk Management's review and approval of the candidate's driving record.
Special Notice Items: Some positions may carry the risk of exposure to infectious diseases, asbestos or wastewater and sewage products, therefore special medical screening prior to or during employment may be necessary to assure employee health and safety.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: All positions require the ability to lift up to 100 pounds for brief periods. All positions require the ability to enter and work in confined spaces, which may require the proper wearing of individual safety and protective equipment.