Southern Arizona AIDS Foundation
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Bilingual Health Navigator - PrEP/PEP
at Southern Arizona AIDS Foundation
Scope of Work: The Bilingual PrEP (Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis) and PEP (Post-Exposure Prophylaxis) Navigator works with community members who are at risk of acquiring HIV and are interested in expanding their prevention toolkit to include biomedical interventions such as PrEP. The Navigator will assist individuals who have recently begun taking Truvada (an approved PrEP medication) in their efforts to overcome systemic and individual barriers to daily PrEP adherence. The Navigator will also refer individuals who have had a recent exposure to HIV for PEP care, in coordination with community partners to ensure medication is initiated within 72 hours. The Navigator will also play a central role in promoting the health and well-being of LGBTQ people and others at risk of acquiring HIV in our community. Project activities include but are not limited to outreach, education, and HIV testing. The Bilingual PrEP/PEP Navigator is a full-time, 40 hours/week non-exempt position that requires the ability to work very flexible hours including evenings, weekends and some holidays.
- Meet with participants one-on-one to provide individual education, support, and referral services to reduce the risk and harm of HIV infection and/or transmission.
- Conduct educational presentations in the community to increase knowledge of HIV/AIDS, substance use, harm reduction, and biomedical interventions (PrEP/PEP).
- Provides HIV rapid testing (finger-stick) and referral services.
- Provides HIV confirmatory testing (venipuncture), referral services, and linkage to care. (SAAF will provide Phlebotomy training if needed).
- Serves as a liaison between SAAF and the UA Peterson Clinic and conducts referrals for participants when necessary.
- Coordinate with other program and collaborating agency staff, case managers and peer counselors to provide coordinated services including education, readiness assessment, benefits coordination, linkage to care, and referrals for biomedical interventions (PrEP/PEP) and other social services.
- Coordinate program recruitment and dissemination of HIV/AIDS prevention and gay/bi men’s health information through distribution of literature, safer sex kits and program brochures during community outreach events, including bar outreach.
- Network with community social service providers for project referrals.
- Conduct referral follow-up activities and maintain paperwork including program files, forms and databases.
- Gather and maintain accurate documentation of all activities and events using proper forms, files and databases.
- Assist with compiling and drafting program reports.
- Attend project and agency meetings as deemed appropriate.
- Work as a team member of the Prevention Services Department and agency.
- Attend specialized skill-building trainings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Reports to the Program Coordinator.
- Bachelor’s degree in social services or health-related field or 2 yrs. work experience in sexual health, HIV/AIDS prevention, substance abuse prevention, risk reduction/harm reduction techniques and/or other health-related issues.
- Demonstrate a comprehension and appreciation of diverse and complex cultures.
- Ability to exercise and demonstrate compassion and non-judgment when working with program participants.
- Readiness to be trained (if needed) and to then perform required phlebotomy-related venipunctures for confirmatory testing.
- Responsible, dependable, energetic self-starter who is able to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Must be comfortable in a variety of community settings (including gay bars & rural communities).
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
- Access to a reliable vehicle, a valid AZ Driver’s License and a driving record that will be supported by our liability insurance provider.
- Experience working with target populations
- Computer literate, especially familiarity with Microsoft Office software
Compensation: Starting rate $17.20/hour; benefits include health, dental, and life insurance; log- and short-term disability insurance.
To Apply: Submit letter of interest, resume with dates of employment, and names, addresses, and phone numbers of three professional references to the Director of HR, Southern Arizona AIDS Foundation, 375 S. Euclid Ave., Tucson, AZ, 85719, or email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit www.saaf.org. Open until filled.
Affirmative Action: The Southern Arizona AIDS Foundation is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, or disability.
Start Date: As soon as possible.